- > Why Travel With Us
- > Our Blog
- > Letter from Dan
- > 2013 Schedule of Depatures
- > Digital Edition of the 2013 Catalog
- > Our Staff
- > About Dan Austin
- > Our Guides
- > Meet Our Guides
- > Philanthropy
- > Travel Planning Resources
- > Austin-Lehman's Top Tens
- > Top Ten Bike Rides
- > Top Ten UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- > Top Ten Historic Sites
- > Top Ten Hotels/Lodges
- > Top Ten Restaurants
- > Top Ten Wildlife Destinations
- > Top Ten Rafting/Kayaking Outfitters
- > Top Ten Rivers
- > Top Ten Guides
- > Top Ten Picnic Spots
- > Top Ten Hikes
- > Top Ten Desserts and Chocolates
- > Top Ten Family Adventures
- > Top Ten Best Sellers
- > Top Ten Must-Pack Items
- > Top Ten Beaches
- > Top Ten Massages
- > Top Ten Canyons
- > Top Ten Photography Myths
- > Top Ten Places to Unplug
- > Image Gallery
- > Adventure Videos
- > 2013 Preserve a Park
- > Webinars
- > Travel Journals
- > Our Equipment
- > Our Lodgings and Cuisine
- > Travel Professionals
- > Austin-Lehman Reviews
- > Company Awards
- > Trusted Adventures
- > Newsletter Archive
- > Employment
- > FAQ
- > Media Center
- > Our Partners
- > Local Bites
- > Refer a Friend
- > Namibia Conservancy Tourism Exchange
- > Eastern Mountain Sports
Glacier & South Dakota Guide: Laurie BarnardBack to Guide Pages >>
Short Bio: Laurie lives in Red Lodge, MT where she pursues her passions of hiking, biking, backpacking, skiing, climbing, and teaching West African drumming. She enjoys travel and has journeyed throughout North America, the Caribbean, Europe, Nepal, Thailand and New Zealand. Laurie lived in Switzerland and France where she taught skiing, kayaking, and sailing. Her years living in Glacier Park allowed her to summit over 50 mountains. When she is not outdoors or traveling, she is providing speech-language therapy for children.
Trips Guided by Laurie:
- Glacier National Park
- South Dakota- Black Hills to Mt. Rushmore
- Montana - Big Sky Family - Cowboys, Canyons, & Campfires
- Montana - Canyons, Calderas, & Cowboys
- Yellowstone Family - Geysers & Grizzlies
- Yellowstone - The Serengeti of the American West
- Yellowstone/Teton Family - Bull Moose to Bucking Broncos
- Yellowstone/Teton National Park - Best of the West
Laurie's Guide Survey:
What’s your favorite vacation destination?
What destination would you like to visit?
What’s your favorite hike?
What’s your favorite bike ride?
What is your favorite historical site, castle, museum, etc.?
Because of the wildflowers on the Beehive Basin hike, waking up to the sunrise on Yellowstone Lake, horsebackriding with our rancher, Martin, and the bike ride up Mill Creek in the Paradise Valley.
What do you do that makes a guest’s vacation special?
I can't tell you if you haven't been on one of my trips. I like to surprise my guests with the unexpected.
Favorite Movie: I always have a new favorite movie. Right now I'd have to say it's The Blind Side. I love happy endings, especially when it's a true story.
Favorite Book: Forget Me Not by Jennifer Lowe Anker. It's about the life of Alex Lowe, a well-known climber from Bozeman, Montana who was killed in an avalanche while climbing in Tibet. He left behind his wife, Jenny, and three young sons. Very poignant.
Favorite Song: Whatever one I'm listening to
Describe the most amazing experience you’ve had while guiding a trip:
When did you first catch the travel bug?
What are your hobbies?
Besides playing outside and traveling, I enjoy West African drumming, ethnic cooking, reading, and making jewelry.