Switzerland/Germany | Lake Constance to Zurich Itinerary
(Host City: Zurich, Switzerland (ZRH) / Strasbourg, France (SXB))
Day 1: Konstanz/Constance
Day 2: Konstanz/Constance
Day 3: Konstanz/Constance
Day 6: Winterthur
Day 6: Winterthur
Day 7: Zürich (departure)
Quotes From the Field:
“We loved the beautiful countryside and villas, and it was great to get some historical background each day. My kids loved the trip, too – it was a wonderful bonding experience for the family.”
Karin Crawford - Denver, CO
Frescoed facades, thundering falls and picture-perfect farms overlooking the Alps
Soak up a week of serenity and spectacular scenery as you pedal from the serene banks of Lake Constance to the roaring Rhine Falls of Schaffhausen, traversing geranium-studded meadows and church-flecked farmland along the way.
...or call 800.575.1540
- Marvel at a 16-pillared 11th century Romanesque cathedral in Constance
- Wander the Halls of Knights at Altes Schloß, the oldest inhabited castle in Germany
- Sip a local pilsner in an ancient fishing village on the shore of Lake Constance
- Pedal through farmland peppered with monasteries and exploding with magnolia, lily and iris bushes on the islands of Mainau and Reichenau
- Follow the young Rhine into Switzerland, breezing past dairy farms, quaint towns and wildflower-studded meadows
- Stand at the foot of Rhine Falls, the most powerful falls in Europe
- Bike the Tösstal valley, pausing to cool off in the Töss River
- Savor a lunch of perfectly prepared rösti (the Swiss take on hash browns, often accompanied with bacon, onion, cheese or fresh herbs) and strawberries dipped in chocolate fondue
7 days/6 nightsNights 1-3: Steigenberger Inselhotel
Located on a small private island in an ancient, former Dominican Monastery, the Steigenberger Inselhotel offers an elegant atmosphere and beautiful view of Lake Constance. The hotel’s restaurant offers highly regarded cuisine and it’s considered to be one of the top restaurants in the region. Night 4: Hotel Chlosterhof
The family-run Hotel Chlosterhof is one of the most beautiful hotels in eastern Switzerland. Located on the banks of the Rhine's outflow from Lake Constance, this hotel is well-known for its lavish and spacious rooms, the attentive and personal service and its award-winning cuisine. Nights 5-6: Park Hotel Winterthur
An updated and modern hotel in the heart of Winterthur surrounded by a magnificent park with beautiful flora and ancient monumental trees.
A few more reasons why you've gotta go…
1. The German castles and historic sites: Germany is a land of fantastic castles and spectacular cathedrals, medieval forts, abbeys and monasteries.
2. The Swiss cheese: Swiss cheese is more than just a delicious and distinctive cheese, it’s a way of life in Switzerland.
3. Mount Pilatus: If you’ve ever wanted to shout from a mountain top, this would be the place to do it. At 7,000 feet above sea level, Mount Pilatus is the world's steepest cogwheel railway, and its summit offers birds eye views of over 70 peaks and five different lakes.
4. Lake Constance: With its mild climate and plentiful sunshine, it’s a top vacation spot for lovers of sun and sand. The hillsides that surround the lake are covered with vineyards and orchards.